Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

I Sing The Body Electric .... do YOU?

Today I find I'm doing a different kind of inspirational quote - it's coming in the form of a song. On Facebook this morning, Saul Williams (the brilliant American poet, writer, actor and musician) posted the video "I Sing The Body Electric" from the 1980 film "Fame". I remember my mom taking me to see it, but what I remember more is the movie utterly blowing me away. Films in general had changed for me (and for the world) three years earlier when "Star Wars" hit the screens, so now I saw cinema in a completely different light.
*I'll talk more about "Star Wars" and its impact on me another time. :)

"Fame" really made me take notice of real people and the potential for the younger generation (ie - students in school, like myself but older) to be free and creative. Unfortunately, I only tapped into my creative abilities on the smallest levels and never had the courage to push myself further. I don't feel bad about that at all, though, for now I believe you are never too young or never too old to start expressing yourself creatively. It's taken me 40 years to get to this point, but for me personally, I needed all that time to build up material and experience from life to be able to realize what I wanted to say. And I find that I want to say a LOT!!

In keeping with that sentiment, I make today's inspirational quote the entire song. I've posted the lyrics below so you can sing along (it repeats almost twice).

32 years ago, the song made me dance and feel good.
Today, it inspires me to write my own songs to dance to.
And that makes me feel FREE.

***Note: I was unable to find the real clip to post because all of the ones I found were disabled by the user, so I ended up finding the song from the film but with clips from an amateur production. If it's too distracting, you can find the real clip on your own on YouTube and then read/sing along with this in a separate window.


Enjoy yourselves nonetheless!!!





I sing the body electric
I celebrate the me yet to come
I toast to my own reunion
When I become one with the sun

And I'll look back on Venus
I'll look back on Mars
And I'll burn with the fire of ten million stars
And in time
And in time
We will all be stars

I sing the body electric
I glory in the glow of rebirth
Creating my own tomorrow
When I shall embody the earth

And I'll serenade Venus
I'll serenade Mars
And I'll burn with the fire of ten million stars
And in time
And in time
We will all be stars

We are the emperors now
And we are the czars
And in time
And in time
We will all be stars

No comments:

Post a Comment