Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The VERY Effective 15-minute Exercise

I cannot for the life of me remember where I first read about tackling cleaning chores around the house in 15-minute chunks, but it helped me more than I could ever imagine. And that in turn helped me set up Depletapalooza last year (my ├╝ber-ambitious self-coined cleaning project), which you can read about in earlier posts here on the blog.

Why am I bringing this up, you may ask?

Well ... on the subway ride home last night after work, a radical thought popped into my head: what if I took the 15-minute exercise and applied it to writing?

By jove, that just might work!!!!

There's a one-woman show that has been stirring inside of me since it first formed in my noggin 2 summers ago at Tracy Erin Smith's workshop. The few people I've told about it in detail have expressed excitement at the thought of seeing me perform it one day. That alone should have helped spur me on to get it down on paper, right?

(insert riotous cackling here)

Just the thought of writing it all out has been daunting enough, so I have yet to write a single word.

Til today, that is.

I haven't thought of a snappy title/catchphrase for it (yet), but I am making August the 15-minute-a-day Playwriting Month. Huzzah! My 15 minutes have already been taken care of today, so the pressure to write more is nowhere to be found. If I *do* happen to feel like writing more on any given day, I will certainly do so, but to make this new project as freeing as possible, I didn't want to set any unrealistic expectations.

Just a portion of my subway ride to work and Bob's Your Uncle!



PS - This is what my egg timer looks like. "Gotta set the chicken!"



No comments:

Post a Comment