Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Day Sixteen: Favourite Songs

Some of the prompts I'm getting from the Kickin' It Old Skool Blog-A-Thon are coming at the perfect time. Today is asking for our favourite songs. If you remember from an earlier post this month, I was talking about us doing mix tapes at work for presents. I wasn't able to finish mine by the Staff Party date, but my recipient was more than happy to hear that she'd get it on Christmas Day at work. Today was the day for me to finalize the content for it. Well, it's actually turned into a bit of an anthology - it'll be 3 cds! All songs that meant something to me at some point in my life, or got me through tough times.

With that being said, here are a select few, with videos attached:


Marianne Faithfull - "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan"
A song that I truly connected with while I was in my bad marriage. The lyrics really hit me.



Cyndi Lauper - "Money Changes Everything"
My favourite song of the woman I've loved for 30 years.



The Cranberries - "Ridiculous Thoughts"
A song that makes me dance like crazy!



Polyphonic Spree - "You Don't Know Me"
This song pulls my spirits up if I'm feeling stressed or tired.



Liza Minelli - "Cabaret" from "Cabaret"
Another song whose lyrics mean the world to me. Stuff to live by.



Johnny Cash - "Hurt"
It may be a cover of a NIN song, but it could really have been written by him. So moving and heartbreaking, the video touches you even more.



"Book of Mormon: The Musical" - "I Believe"
Saw this when it opened on Broadway and this song (about finding one's faith) is another one that lifts me right up.



4 comments:

  1. I loved reading this Polly! It's so wild to see how many memories are held in song, as well as how they can cheer us up and make us dance! Amazing :)

    I love the version Johnny Cash does of Hurt. Watching the video makes me cry without fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Johnny Cash song is amazing. I hadn't realized it was a NiN cover. I'll have to look for the original but I don't think anything can beat Johnny's version. great list
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very eclectic and totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyndi Lauper ... always have been a favorite. She's is such an old soul.

    ReplyDelete