Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Day Ten: Show and Tell

It's Show and Tell Day! It took me a really long time to figure out what I was going to post today, but when it hit me, it hit me hard.

At the end of September, I went to Word on the Street here in Toronto (the national book fest). In my wandering around, I met a guy running a table and we got to talking. His name was Harrison (his website is Harrison Wheeler) and he was one of the funniest and most creative people I'd met in ages. He told me that he thought my energy was fantastic and that I seemed very creative too, so he gave me a project to work on that he would eventually take over. He looked through a bunch of cards on the table and handed me the one I've posted below.


I was to write a story to go with this image, and then in turn, he would do the illustrations for the rest of my story.

At least, I *think* that's what I was supposed to do! As most of you are well aware, time is a harsh mistress, and almost 2 1/2 months after the fact, the card has resurfaced. I think the Show and Tell prompt for today was quite fitting as I wrote the start to the story on my subway ride last night. I messaged Harrison through Facebook to 1) apologize for the delay, and 2) ask if I had remembered the project correctly.

We'll see what he says (if I hear back from him, that is!), but what better way to show and tell this story than to post it here. Go back up and take a look at the drawing on the card, and then read what I've done:

*********************************************************************************************************

He doesn't remember much of his childhood. Just scattered bits and pieces here and there, like a jigsaw puzzle that will never be completed. Come to think of it, he doesn't remember a lot of his past ... but it's not like he had a traumatic accident that caused him to lose his memories.

No, he's just never had that much of an interesting life. And that's how he came up with his name.

Always feeling detached from the goings-on of the rest of the world, he found it quite fitting to forego the name bestowed upon him at birth. There's really no point to bring it up now either, seeing as how we are in the here and now.

And so begins the journey of Miles Away.

***********************************************************************************************************

Funny how after staring at the card for about 10 minutes, the next 10 were spent writing all of the above rather quickly. I'll see if anything else pops into my mind, but I thought I'd see what you all thought of the start of this story.

Has it grabbed you at all?
Shall I try to see if there's a Chapter 2 inside of me somewhere?
Is it Fate that I wrote this the day before today's prompt?
And while I'm at it ... how *do* they get the caramel inside the Caramilk bar????

:)


4 comments:

  1. Absolutely write chapter 2 and beyond! What a great thing to have these drawings to inspire a story, and then know that the artist would illustrate what you write as well. I love, love, LOVE that you turned the words on the picture into the character's name. It never would have occurred to me to do that. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Polly! So great to see you resurface, and with a nifty beginning to this story, too! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but here I am and I have drawn another sketch to help push this tale forward. Love that you found inspiration in my challenge, let's keep the momentum going ok? Let's keep posting your story on our blogs together, and we'll keep going until it feels natural to end it. Where can I send the next sketch? Email? Thanks, Harrison

    ReplyDelete