Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

My 2014 reading list.

Books really liven up my life. Sadly, the past few years I haven't been reading as much as I used to.
It's hard to balance time between reading all the books you've been meaning to get to, and doing puzzles year-round as practice for your tournament. The puzzles have won in a triumphant manner lately, and though that's not a *bad* thing, I've sincerely missed falling under the spell of a great book.

My friend Aliyyah lent me "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs, and it took me to many interesting places. His superbly-detailed descriptions of what it was like when he was drunk (which was all of the time) made me both laugh out loud and feel pain at remembering my own personal bouts with alcohol. She kindly lent me another of his books, "Possible Side Effects" and I'm plowing right through it. This made me think about what I'd like to read next, and that led to a mountain of books I had taken off both my own shelves, and my best friend Shaun's next door. I've scaled it down to mere 16 titles (17 if you include the one I'm reading now).

I'm not a fiction reader anymore (with the exception of the Harry Potter series and Nick Hornby novels), and love learning about people's lives or adventures, or historical events. I'm excited about this selection of books for the year, and can't wait to begin each and every one!
In case you can't read the titles properly in the picture, I'll list them all here for you.

LEFT STACK:

"Possible Side Effects" by Augusten Burroughs (currently reading)
"The Longest Winter" by Meredith Hooper
"A Man on the Moon" by Andrew Chaikin
"Sharon and My Mother-In-Law: Ramallah Diaries" by Suad Amiry
"Work As a Spiritual Practice" by Lewis Richmond 
"My Life as a Traitor: An Iranian Memoir" by Zarah Ghahramani
"39 Years of Short-Term Memory Loss: The Early Days of SNL from Someone Who Was There" 
by Tom Davis
"Just a Geek" by Will Wheaton
"Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore


RIGHT STACK:

"Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety" by Daniel Smith
"From The Sahara to Samarkand: Selected Travel Writings of Rosita Forbes 1919-1937"
"Full Catastrophe Living" by Jon Kabat-Zinn  (rereading after a few years)
"My Prison, My Home: One Woman's Story of Captivity in Iran" by Haleh Esfandiari
"Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope" by Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly
"Extreme Frontiers: Riding Across Canada" by Charlie Boorman
"Lucky Man" by Michael J. Fox (rereading after a few years)
"Johnny Cash: The Life" by Robert Hilburn

They're all waiting for me to get to them on this beautiful new table given to me by my dear friend Ron!


I wasn't sure where I was going to put it or what I was going to use it for, but stacking all the books on the top made perfect sense, and thus a new official Book Table was born!  :)


Happy reading to you all this year! Let me know if there are any books that wow you at all (or even put you to sleep and don't recommend in any way)!.


1 comment:

  1. I see some books there I will have to put on my list. Michael J. Fox close to the top. Have you ever read any of the Andy Andrews books? The Noticer or The Traveler's Gift in particular. They are great!

    ReplyDelete